Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Spring Shades

I'm done with school. Yay! I have had an amazing ride. It has been a year and a half of late nights and early mornings. Tears and fits of rage. Happiness and personal triumphs.

A Blonde Half Jap stemmed from a school assignment. However, now that I finally have some free time. I have decided to continue writing. I enjoy it. It's an escape from the hustle and bustle of the kitchen. It also reminds me that yes, I do still like to look like a lady. Even if I am perpetually existing in chef pants. Which also look very reminiscent of MC Hammer pants. They are not flattering.

On my day off today I ran various errands. Popped into Buffalo Exchange, and I didn't follow my own advice. I did not dress like a "hipster". Which is why I only received $9.00 in store credit from trying to sell my prized clothing. Don't be alarmed! I only gave away my thread bare summer clothing that doesn't fit anymore. On my travels, I also stepped into Sephora.

Sephora, where do I begin. It is a mecca of makeup. Yet, when I am at Sephora. I am as frustrated as a dog shitting glass. I stand around. Not in a passive aggressive way haphazardly picking up random makeup. Acting like I am interested. I'm staring people in the eyeballs begging for help. Today I have been educated on the ways of Sephora.

I worked at Nordstrom for almost five years. Nordstrom takes pride in their customer service. It is a standard of excellence in the retail industry. Customers are greeted immediately and taken care of with a level of expertise and professionalism. It is extremely dissatisfying standing in Sephora. I feel abandoned. Like standing in a room full of hologram images portraying individuals with the latest styles of makeup. Even if I wave my hand in front of their faces. I feel invisible.

Today, I finally was informed about the Sephora "culture". It is more of a "help yourself" establishment. There are stations where the customer can sanitize the various merchandise to sample it. Their are throw away mascara wands and eye shadow applicators hidden away only to the trained eye. Once I was shown how to utilize this establishment. I was elated. For all of you who know me. I am an introvert! I would prefer to help myself. I just didn't know the Sephora etiquette.

Once I was perceptive of the ins and outs of Sephora. I went to town! My goal was to find a new shade of lipstick. I am getting tired of the orange coral shades. My Mom is too. Swatches!


I then amused myself by walking to the sanitizing station. Wiping the germs off lipstick and applying them to myself. Seriously, for at least an hour. Every employee probably thought I was a weirdo. I tried on Smashbox Be Legendary Pink Posy, Nars Dolce Vita, Sephora Collection Rouge Shine No. 16 Sweetheart and many more. Then I found my calling, Marc Jacobs Beauty Lovemarc Lip Gel



Which of the colors above did A Blonde Half Jap choose? I tried three of them. The finish was glossy but held onto a little bit of the matte characteristics which I prefer. It was a cool pink which is completely different then my normal hue. It deviates away form the traditional peony petal pink that is normally associated with spring colors. The color I am wearing here is Happy Ending. Honestly, I don't think it is the best shade for me. I need to invest in a cooler blush if I plan on wearing it. However, I chose it with my husband in mind. When I tell him the name of the color. It will make him smile. 



No comments:

Post a Comment