Monday, March 10, 2014

Bringing Back the Pin Curls

I started wearing my hair in bandannas for work. One night while I was working the line, my Executive Chef was holding a plate of pasta. I swear his eyes turned red and he was giving me a look of murder. He sets the plate under the spot lamps and peers at me through the pass. He proceeds to fish out a piece of hair. Pulls it out, and keeps pulling for what feels like an eternity. The hair is still attached to the pasta and his fingers are grasping the other end over his head. I look down at my loose braid nestled on my shoulder. He follows my eyes and says, "Yep, nobody else has four foot long blonde hair. Wear a fucking hat or hair net. I don't care what it is, but tie your hair back! And out of my food!."

I responded with, "Yes Chef!" Then thoughtfully looked up and asked, "Can I wear a bandanna?"

"I don't care what you wear! Put a fucking beaver skin hat on! Just make sure this never happens again!"

"Yes Chef!"

I promptly went out and found the cutest pink, purple, and turquoise bandannas. I also found bandannas with cute pictures of birds on them, flowers, anything that would scream I am still a lady. There is no way in hell you will ever catch A Blonde Half Jap with a hair net.

The next day I walked into work wear this.


I received a huge and very impressive eye roll from my Executive Chef. I asked, "Is this OK?" He sighed, shook his head and walked away.

Wearing bandannas made me immediately think of my new favorite era of fashion and beauty. The 50's, and most importantly. The pin up girl. I was scouring YouTube for ways to make a bandanna look cute, and I came across this video. "6 PIN UP looks for BEGINNERS". It was extremely helpful.


Below is my first attempt at a pin curl. It's very messy, however I learned how to hone it in with some practice. Before attempting pin curls you do need an arsenal of supplies. An offensive amount of bobby pins and the cheapest most stickiest can of aerosol hairspray you can find. My go to hair spray is, Aussie "Instant Freeze Hair." 
Weird selfie.
All in all the lesson learned here is that, just because you are a girl working in a kitchen doesn't mean you have to look like a boy! Try out the pin curl for your self. It's feminine and keeps your hair out of your face!


No comments:

Post a Comment