Monday, March 10, 2014

The Jeans Dilemma

How many of you have ever come across this problem. You are trying on a pair of jeans. You get them to your knees and think to yourself, "Yes, come on Jeans! Just a little farther!" You get them up to your thighs and you're elated. You think, "Just a little bit farther! Here's the most difficult part!" You get the jeans up to your big booty. They won't budge pass your hips and butt. You then take them off and throw them aside with a fit of frustration. Then pick up another pair of jeans off the stack. Sales associates must hate girls like me. I try on a mountain of clothes and barley ever have a win.

I wouldn't consider myself to be a "fat" girl. I wouldn't even consider myself to be plus size. I'm 5'6", 155 pounds pounds. My measurements are approximately 35-28-38. By U.S. women's clothing standards I wear anywhere from a size 8-10 depending on the brand. I can also fit into size 6 dresses, but Jeans. They are another story.

I have been on the hunt for the perfect jeans for years. There was a span of my life in my 20's where I simply just gave up. My signature outfit was leggings and a long blouse, or tights and a dress. However, these outfits always made me appear bigger than I actually was. Billowy outfits only look good on skinny tall chicks, or skinny petite girls.

I was getting bored of my dresses and leggings. I also felt like I was reaching my mid-twenties and it was time to start acquiring a more, "grown-up" wardrobe. So I began the perilous search for jeans once again. I hit road blocks everywhere I went. I tried on 7forallmankind's, True Religion's, Abercrombie, the vast variety of H&M jeans, Gap, J Brand, Paige, Jo's Jeans, and countless more.

Then I hit the jackpot. My mom told me about Ann Taylor Loft Curvy Jeans. I thought to myself, "Boring, isn't this where middle aged women shop? All suits, pants, business clothes, and comfy weekend wear?" She told me to give it a try. So I humored her. The first pair I tried on went up and over my hips with ease! It also didn't leave a six to ten inch gap at my waist. Which is always the number one problem for A Blonde Half Jap. If it fits the thighs and booty! It never fits the waist. We are destined to always wear belts. The length was a little long. But I figured it would be well worth the money just to tailor these magical jeans. The sales lady then suggested I try on petite. I've never considered myself a petite girl. In hindsight it does makes sense. My mom is a 4'8" Japanese woman. Of course I also have a petite build! Below is a picture of me in Ann Taylor Loft Curvy Jeans. I bought them in four different colors.

I apologize for the unmade bed in the background. 
I found this blog called I love Jeans, and came across this post called CURVY GIRLS RULE OK, NINE TOP DENIM PICK’S FOR HOURGLASS & PEAR SHAPE . These "rules for curvy girls" really has helped shorten the duration of time on my hunt for clothing.

#1: Choose a higher rise jean. The rise is the measurement from the top of the waistband down to the bottom of the crotch seam. A higher rise jean sits comfortably below your belly button covering your bottom & hip area.

b: Find the best rise for you: With your jeans on take a tape measure and measure from the crotch seam up to two fingers below your belly button. This will give you the measurement of the rise that will be comfortable for you. Or if you don’t have a tape measure use a ribbon or a piece of string. Take this shopping with you and use it as a guide when picking out jeans to try on.

#2: Always choose a style with at least 1% Lycra mix in the fabric content ( you can check on the label inside the jean). This is important for comfort and for keeping shape. Lycra & Elastane do the same job. I have found jeans with a Cotton, Polyester & Lycra mix keep the best shape.

#3: Choose a wider waistband. Perfect for sitting on the hip & the smallest part of your waist. Often a wider waistband sits higher on the back, so no knickers showing.

#4: Look to balance out your curves. When choosing a leg shape opt for a boot cut, wide leg or kickflare to balance out your curves. If you’re hankering for a skinny style, go for a straight leg rather than a skinny style but remember keep the rise high!

#5: Do your homework. There are a handful of denim brands & retailers that specifically have styles for ladies with curves. Check them out as they were created for you…

Good luck all you pear shapes out there! Don't give up!


No comments:

Post a Comment